View Single Post
Old 08-31-2005, 08:28 PM   #6
giriasis
United_States
Re: Aikido survivors (Voices of Experience)

Quote:
Clark Bateman wrote:
Sorry you disagree, but if you drag yourself in there with the attitude that you don't want to be there and you're not going to put anything into it, your benefit will be minimal. And if that's good enough for you, then you have already quit on yourself. Training requires and repays discipline, and not just when you feel like it. And the other factor you have not considered is that lack of dedication is contageous, and it is unfair to your fellow students for you to give less than your best. Paying your monthly dues does not entitle you to kill everybody else's buzz. It's not good enough just to show up. Save your money and stay home. If you were my student, I would tell you that very thing.
I have to agree with Amelia, you have no clue what personal challenges people are facing when they come into the dojo -- or just to get themselves to a dojo. Who are you to say that they are not putting in enough effort. How do you not know that they are not putting in their best. Their best effort might be your least effort, but that doesn't take away the challenges they face. Everyone has their own path to follow, your path is not necessarily theirs. Someone wouldn't go to class if they didn't want to be there no one is forcing them to show up. And I know my sensei would much rather someone show and put forth their best effort, even if its only 20% of their abilities, than not show up at all. If 20% is all they can do, then that's all they can do. It's not me to judge.

Also, I have yet to see an adult show up and not care about their training. I've seen children forced by their parents to attend not care, but not adults.

Anne Marie Giri
Women in Aikido: a place where us gals can come together and chat about aikido.