View Single Post
Old 08-30-2005, 06:57 PM   #12
Joe Bowen

Dojo: Yongsan Aikikai
South Korea
Re: Poll: How important is facing your own aggression in improving your aikido?

Quote:
Pauliina Lievonen wrote:
What is tenkan then, passive? Sorry...passive tenkan is one of my pet peeves.
Pauliina, I almost started to right passive, but decided that that was not the right word, so I left it at not. I would have to say that Tenkan is "maybe" less aggressive then irimi, but I would agree with you that it is not passive. Kind of hard to put into words. But, in the end, if we are doing away with our aggression, then how can we aggressively pursue world peace, our own training or anything else?
Robert raises a few good points. But, I think if you face and understand where your angst, aggression, anger, etc comes from you put yourself in the position to choose to transform or channel that energy that comes from that part of our psyche, to change the aggression to compassion, the angst to love. And, it is never a one time deal. It happens every day over and over again. Just because you are successful at doing it today at the dojo, doesn't mean you will do it tomorrow at the office. It will increase your ability to do it, but doesn't mean that you necessarily will. It's a natural part of who we are....