View Single Post
Old 08-24-2005, 03:32 PM   #59
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States
Re: quickness & accuracy

Here's the kicker though - everyone who does kata pretty much thinks like that. Heck - you are supposed to. I do too. If you grasp the fundamentals of training, you understand kata like this. You have to. Only, thinking and doing are two different things. And again - everyone realizes that too. That's not news to anyone. We all know this. And YET, when we only do kata, and/or when we have not done these (types of) drills before and then attempt them, etc., we notice that not everything from kata is readily transferable. It can be, it should be, but it very often isn't, and it isn't because it doesn't HAVE to be.

Somewhere in kata or in how we approach kata or in how we attempt to "transfer" what we learn in kata to some other place, etc., there exists a very real possibility that some very important things don't make the gap from a live kata to a living application. I'm sure there are many reasons for this - some of them are very traditional and are very much a part of kata training - some of them are new to our modern era (i.e. make use of a newer discourse) - but the statistical fact remains: I have never seen anyone that trains in just kata come into this drill and/or these types of drills and see them move like they do in kata and/or see them move as if they had any kind of training at all (e.g. often the training they do have hinders them so they can end up worse off than someone that had no such formal training - heck - Takuan mentions this one, so this problem is very old). In this way, the gap that reveals itself is very much like the one that is experienced by folks that haven't underwent any kind of adrenaline dump training - they find that first one is quite determining in what they can and can't do.

From here, often, many of us run to the "reason" that real life shouldn't look like kata - so we excuse the gap that is really there between what we train in and what we are able to do, but then this reason doesn't account for the folks that can make real life applications look just like kata training sessions - because their body/mind is quite capable of making the transfer from live kata to living art - because they are quite capable of takemusu aiki and not just applying arm bars, trips, and jamming strategies, etc. Those people do these types of drills as part of their kata training.

I hate to repeat the ol' line of "You got to try it to get it" - I generally think that is such crap - but the first two drills are so easy to repeat on your own and the effects are so readily amplified that you cannot really have a hard time gaining some relative insight in regards to this "gap," that I would still like to suggest that folks give them a try - to see for your own self what is transferable and what is not. Again, I do not think this falls outside of kata training and/or in place of kata training. For me, this is just part of the a larger whole - one that will indeed come to make kata training (i.e. kihon waza training) even more alive when you return to it after having done this other type of training.

david

Last edited by senshincenter : 08-24-2005 at 03:43 PM.

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.