View Single Post
Old 08-23-2005, 04:22 PM   #63
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: what does religion say about ki?

Quote:
Alan M. Rodriguez wrote:
Yeah....maybe not every non-Christian's view of Christianity...but definitely every Christian's view of Christianity as is spoken of in the Bible as well.
Forgive me for being interesting in this part of the thread; i don't mean to beat any dead horses into glue. I do however have a question regarding the idea that there is but one conception of what it means to be Christian. Why are there so many sects within Christianity? Surely it's not because of a homogenous view on the singular authority behind it which is the Bible?
Now for the original point of this thread...
I know Christians who view Aikido, of which ki is a major concept, as being perfectly in fitting with their faith, and they find no fault with the concepts expounded upon by OSensei, who was a Shintojin. I think these are people who are intimately aware of both these paradigms. From a scientific point of view, all existance/creation is matter and energy, which are essentially two sides of an existing "coin." Ki is described generally as energy, of which there are many manifestations (heat, kinetic, whatever). One very compelling aspect, to me, is the description of vibrational energy found in OSensei's teachings. This is in keeping with verified science. Whether one holds the view that you must pay homage to the force/energy described simply as "Jesus" or to all that Jesus stood for, i think the principle is the same. If I follow Jesus and through Jesus learn to follow all the virtues He encapsulates, or, if through those virtues I come to follow their source abstractly, it seems to me the result is very much the same. I have been told essentially the same thing by people who firmly describe themselves as "Christian."
Anyway, I appologize in advance for any annoyance this post may have caused. I only reply out of a sincere desire to both understand and, hopefully, provide food for thought.
Sincerely,
Matthew J Gano

Gambarimashyo!