View Single Post
Old 08-11-2005, 09:06 AM   #22
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States
Re: "Traditional budo" and "Fighting art"

Well, I think the problem is with over appling reductionist thinking. (Again, surface level problem.) I think this is a case for lateral thinking. For example, in computer science, there are funny concepts like the difference between a composite and aggregate. A typical car is a composite of the various parts - so you can troubleshoot by process of elimination. An aggregate is more than the summation of the parts. For instance, ask a Red Sox fan the following: If every member of that team (coaches, managers, everything) were traded to the Yankees, would they now be a Yankees fan? The answer would be NO WAY! I'm a Red Sox fan and I hate the Yankees. Okay, I know it is a silly example, but the computer science example is worse. I think Budo in general is more of an aggregate than a composite. Not because people will have seemingly irrational attachment to their team or their art, but because the collection of concepts grouped together in that way has meaning to them: which is really why we call it "art" (This is all just my opinion mind you! I'm sure that some really do just have an irrational attachment to their "style" of Budo - and by all means help wake them up - but do it in a kind way.)

For me, I have tried Judo with some incredible people (the guy must be psychic or something - I really admired and desired his ability). I frequently go to friendship seminars with incredible people who teach great martial arts. And I have also done aikido with some incredible people. For me, I want to move _primarily_ like my aikido teacher and I also want to understand his thinking about martial arts primarily. I personally got the most out of his teaching, and I feel I have the responsibility to give back. Don't get me wrong, I want all of the other skills too (ground fighting and the hand/eye of sticks, and cool sacrifice judo throws, and boxing combinations to set people up better, etc.) - just not primarily. If there were a better way to learn what my aikido teacher were doing, I'd do it. Sometimes, I think there is a better way to pass on what I learned, and I am always willing to teach in a way that I was not taught, but I remain faithful to Budo. If someone wants similar skills but wants to learn them outside of Budo, I'm certain they are options for them as well.

Rob

Last edited by rob_liberti : 08-11-2005 at 09:09 AM.