View Single Post
Old 08-08-2005, 08:53 PM   #7
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Re: Aikido vs. Escrima/Kali

I find that Kata practice at the highest level is very intense, very focused and provides something that free-style practice alone can not provide. Done right it goes beyond attack and technique but instills lessons of distancing, timing and movement. When complemented with full resistance randori .... well I've said all this before.

Quote:
Paige Frazier wrote:
Dustin , you are right. Katas improve form, and ability but they do not improve reaction time or response to an attack. This is why you cannot rely solely on katas, there has to be interaction with other people in not only a slow moving way but also in a very fast way.
Generally I agree about relying solely on kata but I do think your understanding of kata training is somewhat limited.

Quote:
Dustin Acuff wrote:
My only problem with kata is they do not develop a response to energy given. If someone manages to resist mid technique you are lost unless you have developed the ability to feel the energy and where it is going to blend with it. I think that is one of the highest goals of aiki.
Well actually the level of resistance is defined but it does exist and hence it does develop a response to energy given. Again, as with Paige, I think your understanding of kata training is somewhat limited.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido