View Single Post
Old 08-20-2001, 09:30 AM   #3
taro
ok thanks Paja. I understand, and I do plan to visit the dojos before I make a decision. I would be a fool not to. But I won't be able to do any of that until next month, so I figured I'd do a little research in the mean time. However, I have an overwhelming choice of schools to go to. I plan to select one of the bigger ones even if it's more expensive. But the thing is in my line of work, I may end up moving several more times before finally getting settled. It would be nice if I didn't have to start all over everytime I moved to a new city. Of course I wouldn't be starting "all" over again, but I trust you know what I mean. For this reason, aikikai schools seem to have this advantage. On the other hand, it's not THAT big a deal to be a whitebelt everytime I move if I really prefer the style. But I know nothing about Yoshinkan other than the fact that katas are taught whereas in Aikikai they are not. As far as I can tell, this will only have a bearing on training in the early kyus. Which method is better, I haven't decided. I like both in fact. In fact, from what I know about Aikikai, Yoshinkan, Tomiki, and Ki(Shin-Shin Toitsu?) branches of aikido, I like all of their principles. I would like to try all of them, but for now I need to select one and stick with it. When and if I ever reach the dan levels, I don't think the style/branch of aikido would make too much difference. But in these early stages, I think it will.

So, once again, I ask for your help. Could you share your experience with me?

1. In your experience, how does Yoshinkan differ from Aikikai?

2. What exactly is meant by "hard/soft" style? I still have no clue. More atemi's? Less circular and more linear movements? Quicker paced practice? More aggressive attack simulations? Starched gi's? I'm from Mars, know what I'm sayin'?