Thread: Aikido vs....
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2005, 05:24 PM   #59
Roy Dean

Dojo: Roy Dean Academy
United_States
Re: Aikido vs....

"I always wonder if BJJ goes where aikido can eventually go in terms of much more sophisticated body skills."

Let's look at the development of coordinated body skills in BJJ, for those interested parties:

White belt and blue belt: Everything is done with the hands, pushing for escapes, pushing the legs down to pass guard, etc.

High blue and purple belt: The legs are discovered, and used more for sweeping, passing guard, and manipulating balance. Palms of hands and soles of feet are the dominant tools.

High purple and brown: More proficient use of all appendages, particularly the knees, elbows, and head. Knees are used for pushing and pulling forward, backwards, left, and right; the instep of the foot is used more for lifting, and the head is used as a third hand. Guard passing is done with far less use of hands, and can often be accomplished using only your legs, while your arms are immobile and anchored under their torso. To be able to isometrically hold and apply pressure with one half of your body while being fluid and mobile with the other is a challenging aspect of physical coordination.

Black: I'll let you know when I get there...

RonJon, as far as Aikido giving you the basics of BJJ, I think you're partially correct, but not in the way you'd expect. The taijutsu skills and footwork of aikido have little bearing (initially), to the ground.

It's the ukemi that sets Aikidoist ahead on ground. Knowing how to roll, how to flow with resistance, and how to generate momentum by turning your body into a ball is the greatest asset Aikidoists have.

Humans are the rationalizing animal- we can convince ourselves of anything. Experience has been my greatest instructor, truth stick, and humility device. Go to a BJJ school and roll around. Test things out. Enter a submission grappling tournament (all Aikido techniques are generally allowed). Do it! You will learn more than you than you think from your endeavors. Good luck!

Sincerely,

Roy Dean

Last edited by Roy Dean : 08-04-2005 at 05:37 PM.