View Single Post
Old 08-03-2005, 01:19 AM   #2
dyffcult
United_States
Re: Aggressive aikidoka

I must first admit that I am a bit concerned that not one member of this forum has responded to your post. I must confess that I fear my newness to these forums may mean that I have missed a troll. If so, I apologize to the forum members. If not, I am very sorry that no one has responded more quickly to your post.

Immediately tell your sensei of the attacks outside of class. This is not the normal behavior of an aikidoka. In fact, it is not the normal behavior of someone relatively new to a given martial art.

Every practitioner of the art has had the unlucky encounter with a fellow student who uses too much force, forces technique past the tapping out, or throws the uke beyond the uke's ability (whether through ignorance or a lack of blending.) Usually, this is the student you try to gently correct, or eventually simply learn to avoid.

This is not your situation.

You stated that "Recently they [attacked me outside of the dojo] with a frying pan and a knife, at different times."

This is not the normal behavior of a student of aikido. This is not normal behavior period.

You explained that you did not wish to "practice" unless on the mat or in a keiko gi. This is your right and he should respect that.

Thereafter, he attacked you with a bread knife outside of class. Again, this is not the act of student of aikido.

Given your newness to aikido and your explanation of other circumstances. The actions of this man are completely unacceptable.

One of the main tenets of aikido is to never train beyond the uke's level. This extends beyond the mat. This guy's complete unwillingness to recognize your desires and training levels is so beyond the acceptable as to be unreasonable.

I have no physical impairments (other than excess weight and age) and yet my fellow students accept my request not to take ukemi simply because I know body cannot. No one ever questions why, or tries to exhort me into doing what I believe I cannot.

Again, tell your instructor immediately about these events off the mat. From your post, it would seem that you did not explain about the events off the mat. If you have, and that was your instructor's response, I suggest you find a new dojo.

There is no reason for you to tolerate such behavior.