View Single Post
Old 08-01-2005, 07:30 PM   #1
Tenor_Jon
Dojo: FSU aikido club (??)
United_States
"blocking" with japanese sword

Hey, I wanted to discuss parrying with steel blades, and how it was done in Japan through the ages.
I've looked at a few articles from western blades, and have learned that the whole edge on edge passive blocking you see in the movies is very unrealistic in actual fighting, as it 1 does terrible damage to a sword blade (an edge with force to another edge, regardless of whichever blade is "better" steel, will do damage simply because it's a matter of surface area), and 2 is done mainly because of safety concerns in sword choreography.
But yes, I definitely agree with a lot of buki-waza principles that ideally, if at all possible, the ideal defense with a blade is to void the opponent's blade while moving into a position to counter attack.
But if one is deprived of that, or you just don't have enough time to react, what part of the sword should one deflect/bind their sword with?
(In my opinion, one should use the flat because it has more surface area and can withstand a blade impact, and also because your blade end is facing THEM, so a counter attack is easier and you don't have to worry about pivoting the blade to counter)
what about parrying with the short side (blunt side, I'm sorry I forgot the japanese term...is it mune?)?
It's probably better than exposing your edge to trauma, but since it is made of softer more flexible steel than the hard, crystallized, clay tempered ha, maybe that would do a lot of damage to the sword too?
So yeah...I'm wondering about the realities of what happens with japanese sword against sword contact.