View Single Post
Old 08-01-2005, 12:18 PM   #8
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo
Re: Poll: Have you modified your overall aikido training method due to injuries you've sustained?

This is a yes for me. After feeling the pain from accumulated injuries and from seeing people more senior to me having trouble rolling and sometimes even walking, I try to look at everything I do with an old man's eyes. I try to project myself into the future and think what am I doing now that I'll regret in the future. (I wish I had done that when I was young, dumb and in college.) For example, I have been overhauling my tenkan movement after singling it out as a source for my knee trouble. I started doing this about four years ago. I jogged for about 10 minutes a couple of weekends ago and had no knee pain. I couldn't have done that 5 years ago. I am working on taking falls now, which I believe to be the source of my hip pain. I think this is due to many years of being thrown the way Don described and me taking crappy falls.

Side note - When I was at Aikikai honbu in the late 90's, Endo Seishiro Shihan went to stretches at the end of class like Don wrote. Good idea.
Charles