View Single Post
Old 07-28-2005, 01:52 PM   #19
spinecracker

United_States
Re: Relating Aikido and Christianity

No problem, Matt

I like responding to these posts for several reasons:

1. It challenges my own beliefs, forcing me to study and understand why I believe the things that I do

2. It makes me challenge the Bible, leading me into deeper study of the scripture

3. This leads me into a better, stronger relationship with Jesus

4. It helps spread the Gospel (those who have heard the Gospel and denied it.....well, that is their problem)

5. it annoys other people (only joking!)

I also look at my posts again later and often ask myself if I was actually awake when I constructed these arguments?

Getting back onto the main topic, I sincerely believe that, as a Christian, all you should need is the Bible, the Holy Spirit and walking daily with Jesus. Everything else is window dressing and can lead to distractions away from your Christian life. The Bible is actually specific about not being involved with ANY activity that leaves you open to "possession by unclean spirits", using such terms as 'enchantment', 'divination', and 'sorcery' (I have the scripture references if you want to look them up). This includes certain practices such as Zen meditation. (I know that Zen is not specifically mentioned in the Bible, but the concept regarding the practices is).

Dirk's comment regarding Augustinus is interesting, and might fall under the subject covered by Matthew 7:21, but he did miss out the important second half of that scripture "...but he that doeth the will of My Father which is in heaven." I don't know what Augustinus was up to (am going to start research right now.......), but when a Christian's words and deeds do not match scripture, then we have a duty, as clearly defined in 2 Timothy 3:16 and other places, to reprove, correct and instruct that individual, using scripture only, and not our own inflated opinions and egos. as Augustinus is long gone, then all we have left is instruction for ourselves and others in how to avoid the same pitfalls that he may have fallen into.

Now to get to work on Augustinus......