View Single Post
Old 07-27-2005, 04:59 PM   #9
spinecracker

United_States
Re: Relating Aikido and Christianity

[quote=Robert Fox]Do you believe that Jesus Christ is, or was, a manifestation of the Buddha, or is a similar spiritual being? QUOTE]

Never thought I'd ever quote myself

The purpose of asking this question was to clarify who people actually think Jesus Christ was and is. There seems to be as many opinions as there are people. There are plenty of people who are under the impression that Jesus was one of many 'messiahs' and 'christs' that have revealed themselves to mankind through history. Their are people out there who think that Jesus was never a physical entity, but was purely a spiritual being manifest on Earth. There are many people who think that Christians serve the same God as the god of Islam (this is being discussed on a different thread on aikiweb). There are plenty of people out there who call themselves Christians, and yet have never repented of their sins and given themselves up to Jesus.

Jesus is the Son of God, and is the ONLY way that you can get into heaven. It's in the Bible - in his own words. So, if Christianity is a complete 'system' for salvation through repentance, do you actually need anything else? If you do, is that because Christianity is lacking, or are you?

I suppose my point is that for me, as a Christian, my aikido practice is an opportunity to praise God. I'm not using aikido to improve my life as a Christian, but the humility (hopefully - still way too proud for my own good) and desire to serve, being gifts of the Holy Spirit, aid my aikido practice and my interaction with other students. I don't need zen, buddhism or even starbucks to understand my faith - I just need the Bible (and a heavy bout of the Holy Spirit ).

By the way, Matthew 5 through 7, which includes Jesus' sermon on the Mount (AKA Beatitudes), describes the character and traits that we, as Christians, should follow and have in our lives. Matt 6:24 is clear on also warning us about dividing our time and efforts away from following Him "No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other;or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon."
As Christians, the way is 'narrow' for us, the 'broad' way leading to 'destruction'.