View Single Post
Old 07-27-2005, 12:59 PM   #81
Adam Alexander
Dojo: none currently
United_States
Re: ?? Exaggeration in Aikido ??

Whoa. That's a lot of posts. I'll not quote...Just paraphrase as necessary and try to keep this to one or two sentence responses.

Larry Camejo: What, me misconception?

Kevin:"Real world" misconception: give me just one single example of real world situation where Aikido does not have an answer...except for getting whacked with a pipe in back of the head

I never said that it's posture and balance (however, it is significant as it relates to movement) that negates ground fighting (or atleast that wasn't my intent, even if it was the implication). Although, the two play, possibly, integral roles, technique is also huge.

On that, I think the hand portion of technique is huge (I, however, also believe that Aikido does not exclude things such as pulling on an ear, poking an eye or reaching down someone's pants if the occasion arises.). No doubt, your hands need to be connected to your hips to perform a pretty technique. However, if I pulled off a kote-gaeshi--even if it's more a single-finger-gaeshi--barring other MA experience, wouldn't you say I learned it through Aikido?

On "one shot, one kill": If you apply, correctly, a hitting-elbow, is it over? If you apply correctly, all-direction, is it over? If you choose it to be over, it will be over.

As part of that, with every technique in the reportoire, (barring beginners) we should be learning to recognize and take uke's balance. We should also be learning how to recognize and exploit the weak line. (I imagine the two are somewhat the same, but to me, "taking balance" is more along the lines of taking over a body in motion, whereas exploiting the weak line is more controling the uncooperative).

In regard to "real life, bets are off": I know when real life hits, it's different than the dojo. However, the dojo should compensate for that. Amongst other things, as mentioned earlier, the techniques are broader to compensate for how we move when hit with the fight/flight.

I might be crazy, but I don't think Ueshiba and all of his great students would of made it as far as they did if this stuff didn't work in the real world. Just reading Shioda, that guy's been in plenty real life, life threatening situations.

Ron Tisdale: Your example is of you whooping everybody. I think, first, that's principally different from this situation. In this situation, I'm claiming to recognize principals and their applicable context via appropriate technique (or maybe what I just said makes no sense and I just really liked the phrasing and am just going with it). Your example is "me vs. you" type...I'm not saying that I can apply the techniques in any situation...I can just see clearly that they can be done.

Roy Leclair: Brother, I'm beyond rank. I'm about technique and training. The desire for belts left me a long time ago...atleast relatively speaking. I just train.

On "bragging" and moving faster than...: So, someone says that BJJ is the "best" for actual combat training (or something to that), and I respond that they don't train for speed on their feet like Aikido and here's my example. That's bragging?

In the post you said I was "bragging" in, you said it was 'all' or 'most' my posts. Don't you have more examples?

In either case, I'm not trying to brag. I don't think my skills are all that great. What I believe is that to be "street effective" is pretty easy. People move slow. Because I train and pay attention, I move faster than most. I also believe that people only have to points from which to balance. To grab an arm or head and tug on an angle that's perpendicular to the line that runs between those two points is pretty darn easy.

I don't claim that you will not take a strike in the process. I'm just saying that fighting isn't like it is in the movies...and the UFC isn't realistic.

Ultimiately, a real fight lasts maybe two minutes. Adrenaline's high. People are scared. It's not hard to get a technique in and walk away.

Micheal Fooks: I don't think you know what you're talking about. "Bouncing from technique to technique" is ludicrous. If you get your hands on someone and you can't plant the technique, you used the wrong one. That's not Aikido.

If you selected the right technique (mind you, that's not a conscious process) it's unescapable. That's Aikido.

I do know what a sucker punch. When you're good at Aikido, there's no such thing...you're never a sucker.

Regarding the rolls/falls/whatever...just options.

Regarding the "testing": Yes. I've been in a few situations and stayed standing.

To the numbered: 1)Nope. I don't tell them. I let them believe what they want. 2)It's not necessary. Aikido teaches you the infinite realm of body movement.