View Single Post
Old 07-26-2005, 12:16 PM   #64
Adam Alexander
Dojo: none currently
United_States
Re: ?? Exaggeration in Aikido ??

Micheal Fooks: If you're "bouncing from technique to technique" it's because you're trying to think about what technique you're going to use...go back to the dojo and do some kata...because you failed by not practicing enough.

If you slip on the groud, do a roll. If you're sucker punched, absorb the strike and apply the appropriate technique. If you fail to do either of these...go back to the dojo and do some kata...because you failed by not practicing enough.

Regarding "training fiction" in the dojo. Yeah, that's right. Because when push comes to shove, your moves will be tighter that what you trained for because of pressue. We train with big sweeping techniques to compensate for that...I know, I've used it in real life.

Aikido answers the question "what do I do on the ground" by saying "it's irrelevant." That's because, if you really practiced, you'll never be there. The only way a person will take you to the ground is if they offer their balance...if you can't take it when it's offered...go back to the dojo and do some kata...because you failed by not practicing enough.

Same thing with wet surfaces, etc. When you train, it's an exercise in awareness of your surroundings. If you fail to recognize your surroundings...go back to the dojo...you know the rest.

All this, of course, is my interpretation. If anything, this position only serves to limit the definition of Aikido. In all reality, I think it's probably way larger than what I've described...way beyond this.

Roy Leclair: I think being on the ground is a reality to be concerned with...that's why I train to not let it happen.

Last edited by Adam Alexander : 07-26-2005 at 12:19 PM.