View Single Post
Old 07-25-2005, 11:10 PM   #61
Aristeia
New Zealand
Re: ?? Exaggeration in Aikido ??

I'd like to think it's a training maturity thing and everyone will grow out of it, but then I look around and realise that that's not the case. I clearly remember when I was the same, thought that the theory of Aikido was such that it should be able to handle *anything*. But of course that's not how it works in the real world.
I'm with you, I love aikido, wouldn't stop it for the world. But I'm also realistic about what it is and isn't designed to be used for. And also conscious that all of the initial big names generally had extensive experience in other arts.
Jean said don't cross train until you've got Aikido 100% down - but seems to have a circular argument that if you think there's a gap it means you haven't got it down. So you should only cross train when you decide you don't need to? Anyway I digress. My point is I'm more in the other camp that says perhaps the best approach for Aikido is to come to it with a grounding in another art that gives you a reisistance and alive model foundation to add the finesse of Aikido to. I didn't do that so I'm having to go back and add that in retrospectively.

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"