View Single Post
Old 07-25-2005, 02:13 PM   #93
Yo-Jimbo
Dojo: formerly Windward Aikido, formerly at Keewenaw Schools of Aikido (ASU)
Location: Formerly Hawaii Pacific University, formerly at Michigan Technological University
United_States
Re: Catholic Aikidoka

Quote:
August Valenti wrote:
One of the greatest Christians of our time, Mother Theresa of Calcutta, did not proselytize but sacrificed herself for the good of her fellow men and women. She accepted all for who they were and washed their feet humbly, lovingly, and wisely. She reflected Christ in her actions. Will that get her to Heaven? Only God knows her true heart.
I see this as an aspect of aikido that particularly speaks to my Catholic up bringing. The idea that I might endure more training and more danger to have a better chance of preserving my enemy. Somewhere between turning the other cheek and driving out the money changers.
Quote:
August Valenti wrote:
When I was looking for a martial art that might be compatible with my own beliefs, I read a great deal about many. Aikido attracted me because of Morihei's enlightenment and subsequent teachings. Let us be careful NOT to be so sure that his not being Christian in this life--an accident of his birth--has kept him from God's reward. It is not ours to judge--even ourselves. That is scriptural.
I agree that people are to quick to point fingers at others and not look in the mirror. Judge not, lest ye be judged.
Of course, I'd rather be persecuted by an unjust God than be the sycophant of a righteous one.
Quote:
August Valenti wrote:
In our dojo, people of sundry racial, religious, and political backgrounds practice with joy. Christ must smile on it; I bet that Osensei does as well.

August
I'd like to think that dojos should be run in that way. People coming together to practice dealing with conflict.

Again off topic, but I have to ask the small world question:
August, do you have any Valenti relatives in Ishpeming, MI? I sometimes train with a Mark Valenti.

"One does not find wisdom in another's words." -James D. Chye