View Single Post
Old 07-25-2005, 11:17 AM   #43
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: Steven Seagal a true Aikidoka?

Quote:
Nick Simpson wrote:
Because a lot of arrogant people who are relatively new to aikido seem to think that they are more morally correct and striving to find the path of aiki much better than he does/has. And all the rest. I've only heard good things about him, and thats from people who have trained with him and his students.
Out of curriosity, what makes these people arrogant? Is it because they have made a value judgement about another person with little or no direct information at hand?

What is "relatively new" ? 2 years? 5 years? 10 years? When does a person no longer qualify as "relatively new"? Is it their rank? At what rank would they then be entitled to an opinion without it being "arrogant"?

At the same time, I do kind of wonder what affect anything Steven Seagal does or doesn't do could have on our own lives or our own aikido. He's just one man, one teacher (at least in the past), and we each have our own teachers, and our own lives. On a guess, I'd say there's plenty of "bad behavior" out there to go around, some of it my own. I don't even have to look for a teacher to find that...

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)