View Single Post
Old 07-24-2005, 11:21 PM   #53
Colbs
Re: ?? Exaggeration in Aikido ??

Kevin,

If you look on e-budo I think it was, in their close combatatives forum there was a thread a while ago on the latest (or was it the second latest, I can't remember) US Army close combat manuals, one of the authors (or someone who claimed to be one of those involved with it's creation) explained why they chose what they did.

From memory the primary reasoning was that the combination they chose would make their troops as effective as they could be with the allocated training schedule. Because most toops won't train MA outside of their units (just like police), they have a very limited total number of hours to spend with it. BJJ and it's ilk provide some very simple, highly effective means to get the upper hand on your opponent and also require *far* less practice and precision than most traditional MA to pull off on an untrained or similarly skilled opponent.

The secondary reason was that because it allowed for intense competition with few injuries it was seen as being a good way of getting units to set up competitions during training to help breed the competitve and combative mindset.

Anyway, that's how I remember it on a thread a read a fair few months ago - so it could all be bollocks (and you can't trust a thing you read on the interwebnet anyway).

IMO all arts are valid, and damned useful, grappling is a brilliant skill to have and one I will eventually get around to training (once I get a few more years of aikido under my belt - don't want to start cross training too early).

I see the ground as the last line of defense - it's where I get taken when I screw up, not a place I want to be, as such, it will never be a primary art for me, but something I train as a backup. It's similar with military stuff. If you get into a clinch or grappelling situation, as a soldier it's most likely because you or your squadmates stuffed up. I'm not a military person myself, so again, could be total bollocks I'm talking, but as I see it, the primary art of soldiers is small arms and riflery, not close quarters combatitives. If you get grappled, or have to grapple it's because you screwed up and let a threat too close before drawing arms - or because your leadership failed and put you in a position where you had no ability to draw arms.

As a last line of defence art for soldiers, ground fighting seems to me to be the perfect art. The fact that you will have others around removes part of the risk about being stuck on the ground with one enemy while others proceed to kick your head in.