View Single Post
Old 07-24-2005, 01:48 AM   #128
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Germany
Re: aikido vs jiu-jitsu

Dustin,

I had a similar experience out in Ranger School in the mid 90s. Every platoon had to front one fighter and all four of us were in the ring at the same time. The rules were basically NHB rules, last man left in the ring standing was the winner.

It was a "game" as all competitions are, and I let the other three go at it until they got tired, and the odds evened. I layed down right next to the sandbag wall and "pulled guard" on the last guy and tossed him out of the ring.

My goals were simple: 1. don't get hurt and get kicked out of school. 2. Win if at all possible.

Funny thing is my guys called me the "P" word cause I didn't fight! I won, but I didn't fight!

Anyway, I too found my training was an asset much like your sensei. However, I have also found that the methodology employed to teach we use in aikido is not the right one for the military. Certain aspects of it are, but not as a complete methodology.

Dr. Richard Strozzi Heckler, an Aikidoka and sensei, spent much time with the Marine Corps in developing their program. Even then, it is not aikido today.

You sensei might find today that he would be facing many soldiers and marines with much more experience than the average soldier/marine had back then.

The military is going through a huge transformation. We became fascinated with hiding behind technology, today we are "discovering" that we must deal with people, up front and look them in the eyes, both as enemies and as fellow humans.

We have alot to learn about this as a modern military, but martial arts, IMHO, plays a key role in this process. At least as far as the Army is concerned, it is much more than a few simple "lines" training moves "by the numbers". Which is what we were doing back in the 70's, 80's, and 90's.

Well I certainly got off topic!