View Single Post
Old 07-23-2005, 10:50 PM   #75
dyffcult
United_States
Re: Don't waste your time practicing AIKIDO

First off, I have not read all replies to this post, so if the following is redundant, forgive me.

I had not actively trained for over three years before I had the first chance to "use" my aikido. My law office had just witnessed our client convicted of second degree murder because of the kicking death of a young man. That same night I saw my then brother in law "posturing" with another young man at the bar. They walked outside. The other guy sucker punched my brother in law, who fell to the ground. The other guy then started kicking him. The next thing I knew, I had the guy down in a shoulder lock and was telling his buddy to back off or I would break his shoulder. At the time, I had not actively practiced in a dojo for a few years and was only ranked as a nikyu.

Without further training....

A few years later, I was at a KISS concert when some idiot felt the need to be belligerent to every person in his vicinity. After about the third body slam, I turned around, had him on the ground and his opponent by the throat. I asked them if they were through being pains in the ass and they both agreed to behave. I enjoyed the rest of the concert.

So I would have to say that practicing aikido is not a waste of time.

I do believe that it takes a bit of time and practice to reach the point where one can use aikido for self defense. However, having used aikido on more than one occasion to protect myself or others -- without having reached a dan rank -- I do believe that aikido works wonderfully for self defense.