View Single Post
Old 07-22-2005, 03:03 PM   #118
Adam Alexander
Dojo: none currently
United_States
Re: aikido vs jiu-jitsu

Quote:
Monty Collier wrote:
1)If you are going to use Aikido to stop Jiu-jitsu, then you must know what Jiu-jitsu has in mind for you...You need to study Jiu-jitsu tactics and techniques in order to get an idea what they need to win. Only when you have a clear understanding of your adversary's abilities can you begin to formulate counter-measures.

2)But if your interested in practical self-defense, then why not study Judo and Jiu-jitsu?
Regarding your story about the Aikidoka--his Aikido failed before you got the clinch.

1)Shioda, in "Aikido Shugyo," says that if you train against specific techniques, then evertime someone comes out with a new technique, you'll be in trouble. That's why Aikido trains against more than techniques--it trains to understand movement--Aikido by itself teaches everthing you need to know--as a tool for self-improvement or defense.

2)Because the time you waste memorizing and practicing those techniques would be better utilized memorizing and practicing your 1000's of Aikido techniques.

I'm not saying that Judo and Ju-Jutsu aren't valuable. Nor am I saying that Aikido's better (I do believe it is, but that's a matter of faith so really doesn't matter). I'm just saying that unless you're proficient with ALL Aikido techniques, you're not ready to move on.

I'd also say (however, with this I'm really talking out the wrong one) that you probably shouldn't take on another art before you meet the same criteria in Judo, Ju-Jutsu or any other art.

BTW, the original question about being in a clinch or getting your legs grabbed...if it got that far, relative to Aikido, you've already failed (atleast at my level of training it has...if it were me going down, I'd say that I didn't maintain distance).

Last edited by Adam Alexander : 07-22-2005 at 03:06 PM.