View Single Post
Old 07-22-2005, 01:20 PM   #85
spinecracker

United_States
Re: Catholic Aikidoka

Quote:
Lee Price wrote:
Hey thats interesting...first time I've read anything from the bible though I am supposed to be catholic. But you know when I read this it sounds to me that we are being told that we are supposed to be Gods...no? especially the bit "for thou art great, and doest wondrous things..thou art God alone"...is that talking about us?

mmm...anyway I'm certainly not religious...I always liked the quote by Henry David Thorea "talk of heaven..ye disgrace earth"...
Lee, if you can't get hold of a Bible, and want to read one, I would be more than happy to send you a copy. Private message me if interested.

As for reading small bits of scripture......this can often lead towards a misunderstanding of the meaning of the scripture as it needs to be read in context with what precedes it, and what comes ater it.
"....thou art God alone" is referring to God only. Man seems to have spent most of history trying to put himself forwards as a little god (pharaohs, ceasars, Bonaparte, Hitler, Will and Grace....ok, the last one is pushing it). Plenty of sects that use the term Christian actually push the belief of Man's diety over God's (I could give a long, long list, but I think that it might cause offense to some )

I hope that this excellent thread has been an eye opener, for both Christians (Catholic or not) and non-Christians, and I am thankful that views expressed were respected by other posters. If such discussion brings believers closer to Jesus, and leads non-believers to Him, then I am all for it.