View Single Post
Old 07-22-2005, 12:16 PM   #84
AugustV
Re: Catholic Aikidoka

One other thing, casting aspersions on another's faith is not in the spirit of Christianity or aikido. Recall Christ's prayer for unity among his followers (There is plenty of blame to go around for our failure there). This is not the forum to argue doctrine, but I would be prepared to do so--politely--elsewhere.

One of the greatest Christians of our time, Mother Theresa of Calcutta, did not proselytize but sacrificed herself for the good of her fellow men and women. She accepted all for who they were and washed their feet humbly, lovingly, and wisely. She reflected Christ in her actions. Will that get her to Heaven? Only God knows her true heart.

When I was looking for a martial art that might be compatible with my own beliefs, I read a great deal about many. Aikido attracted me because of Morihei's enlightenment and subsequent teachings. Let us be careful NOT to be so sure that his not being Christian in this life--an accident of his birth--has kept him from God's reward. It is not ours to judge--even ourselves. That is scriptural.

In our dojo, people of sundry racial, religious, and political backgrounds practice with joy. Christ must smile on it; I bet that Osensei does as well.

August

Last edited by AugustV : 07-22-2005 at 12:22 PM.