View Single Post
Old 07-21-2005, 12:47 PM   #228
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: Highest Level Martial Arts and Aikido

Quote:
BTW... I've read the Shioda books (well, 3 of them) and I'm not satisfied that the books (which I believe were not personally written by Shioda) reflect exactly Shioda's take on things OR that the full extent of his knowledge and abilities is conveyed.
I'm positive it isn't 1) words never seem to convey physical items like aikido completely, if it was that easy, we'd all just read the book! 2) I believe that others were often at least involved in parsing what finally got published...but I'd have no idea to what extent.

On the basic movements / square form type of thing, I'm sure there are people who do them in a manner that looks outwardly correct, but if they do it with a partner feels completely different from what you might expect. Same goes for technique I'm sure. Last night, when taking ukemi from my teacher, I found myself in a position where there was absolutely NO posibility to resist. Sensei did the technique slowly, with little or no overt strength, and before he thew me, I had no base of power. My knees were cut from under me, I was tilted to one side, and it felt like I had no base to push against to even try to resist the actual 'throw'. If he had wanted to hammer me, I would have been helpless.

Needless to say, my own 'version' of the technique left much to be desired. One of the brown belts likes to test me sometimes, and made a point of resisting when he was in a BAD position...at the time I tossed him anyway, and warned him about resisting in bad positions...but the fact that he had any power base to resist from at all shows the problem with my current "level of aikido"....

Best,
Ron (as in 'not very high')

Last edited by Ron Tisdale : 07-21-2005 at 12:52 PM.

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)