View Single Post
Old 07-21-2005, 09:25 AM   #224
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States
Re: Highest Level Martial Arts and Aikido

That reminds me of a story from Dan Mesisco sensei. He got to train in Korea and in Japan. He told me how some of his aikido friends from Hombu dojo didn't think that the Tang Soo do folks could have any kokyu power. So, he arranged for those friends to go to Korea with him and try to do kokyu tanden ho. The Tang Soo Do guys sat cross legged and were quite good - much much better than the aikido folks thought they would be. Dan sensei explained that these guys practiced doing every single movement from center from the time they woke up until they slept - for about 3 years (to the point of things being really absurd).

Anyway, I can't think of a time that self-coordination habits I was working on in the dojo didn't end up being practiced almost non-stop all day long either. From adjusting the mirror in my car to make sure I held my neck optimally while driving to making funny slow hand/wrist movements while walking down the hall at work (making some people wave back with a strange kind of look on their face), etc..

I don't know, really. I guess I'm just not sure who learns things in the dojo and then completely forgets about them until a few days later at their next class, but they are probably not ready yet for any kind of breakthrough.

Rob