View Single Post
Old 08-15-2001, 10:27 PM   #7
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States
Re: Kamae vs. Shizentai

Quote:
Originally posted by deepsoup

I'm told that our (Shodokan) habit of being in shizentai rather than kamae comes from Tomiki sensei's philosophy of "mushin mugamae" (no mind, no posture).

...That got me wondering what other 'non-shodokan' Tomiki-style aikidoka do ?

( When I say 'non-shodokan' Tomiki style, I suppose I'm really talking about the Jiyushinkai, which I've read a little about on-line. Are there other organisations whose aikido is inspired by Tomiki sensei, but not influenced by Shodokan honbu and the JAA ? )
x
Hello Sean,

The basic posture in Jiyushinkai practice is shizen hon tai. The only variations are: migi (right) shizen tai and hidari (left) shizen tai. From these postures any movement necessary "fits" the situation and follows the KISS principle. The most biomechanically efficient movement from one point to another while dropping center at the appropriate time connecting with uke and taking their center/balance at the same time. This is all part of jibun no tsukuri (fitting yourself) and aite no tsukuri (fitting the opponent). Kuzushi and tsukuri happens at the same time.

Tomiki Sensei's idea of no "set" kamae (stance) and no mental plans or presumptions leaves the system as open as possible to taking in available information and making an intuitive, creative decision rather than a reactive action.

I think the Go Rin no Sho has similar passages in it.

Regards,

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org