View Single Post
Old 08-15-2001, 08:30 PM   #6
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Sorry Mark but you are way off the mark here and Sean (aka deepsoup) is pretty close to the money.

Quote:
Sean writes
I'm told that our (Shodokan) habit of being in shizentai rather than kamae comes from Tomiki sensei's philosophy of "mushin mugamae" (no mind, no posture).
This is it in a nutshell. A particular stance presupposes a particular attack, shizentai allows one maximum freedom of movement. Several senior Aikikai sensei and one senior Ki society sensei have told me that shizentai is considered advanced.

Quote:
Mark writes
The main difference between Tomiki and other styles, Shodokan being Tomiki, is that Tomiki aikidoka learn aikido as a sport. What I mean is... you learn the moves and movement in the context of a sport.
No we learn Aikido as Budo. Tanto randori is a training method as is shiai. Some enjoy it as sport but the final goal is effective Aikido.

Quote:
Mark writes
The form used is, one person attacking the other with a knife to the centre of the chest, I think. In kamae, the chest is half protected, which is no good to Tomiki/Shodokan because you must present the target for it to be attacked, so you're original 'stance' is (yonho) Shizentai.
This is just too weird. The goal of toshu (the guy without the knife) is to avoid getting tanto in the chest. This is done mainly by taisabaki which is easier from shizentai - presenting a target (unless there is a tactical advantage such as goading an overly cautious tanto) is the last thing on toshu's mind.

Toshu randori (no one has tanto) uses shizentai as does the approach to kata including those waza not allowed in randori.

Shizentai is used because it allows for the most flexible response to unpredictable situations.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido