View Single Post
Old 07-20-2005, 12:51 PM   #52
spinecracker

United_States
Re: Catholic Aikidoka

Quote:
Dirk Hanss wrote:
Hi Mark,
I wonder how many catholic or other christian minister would accept this.
"You shall not have other gods after me!" That does not necessarily mean, that there are no other gods, but if you follow them, you cannot follow the Jewish/Christian/Islamic God.
Another issue is reinkarnation, which I (lutheran) was told is not in line with chritian believes.
Errrr.....actually, the bible is specific about God (Yahweh, Jehovah, etc) being the only God. " Thou shalt have no other gods before me. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth" Exodus 20:3,4. Exodus 20:5 begins " Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them....". Psalm 86:10 states "For thou art great, and doest wondrous things: thou art God alone". Deuteronomy 6:4 "Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord". Revelation 1:8 says "I (God) am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end....."
I could go on, but you get the idea.

When other gods are mentioned in the Bible, they refer to either pagan gods (gods created by man that man tries to control - examples such as the creation of the golden calf after the Israelites were delivered from the Egyptians, and the pagan images stolen by Rachel from her father Laban), or Satan and his fallen angels. Satan is referred to as the "god of this world" in 2 Corinthians 4:4, (but this is not indicating that Satan has any authority over the Earth).

What the bible is saying, IMHO, is that following any god other than God is following pagan idols or Satan (Satan being behind many other, if not all other, religions). Serving two masters is explicitly not allowed.

Reincarnation is against biblical teachings, the only things that might even loosely fit the definition of "reincarnation", as I see them, are being born again as a Christian, being made dead to the flesh and born in the Spirit, the raising of the dead as miraculous acts by Christ, Christ's own resurrection 3 days after dying on the cross, and the resurrection of the dead that will occur at Christ's second coming.

As for the God of the Jews and Christians being the same God as the god of Islam, this is not so, and is being discussed in another thread (started by me).