View Single Post
Old 07-19-2005, 07:23 AM   #24
seank
Australia
Re: ?? Exaggeration in Aikido ??

Quote:
Everyone knows what they are going to do if they have to fight, then they get punched in the face.

This is a good reason to keep the challenge match in present day dojos.
True enough- most people will get punched in the face. I squared off with an ex-soldier of nearly 80 pounds heavier than me, whose first instinct was to punch me in the face, followed by kneeing me in the groin, then trying to gouge my eyes whilst alternately punching me to the kidneys.

Fighting like this is not combat or like a sport in any way shape or form. When you have someone seriously trying to hurt you, you very quickly resort to the basics. I had the option of seriously fighting back and causing as much damage as I could, but in this instance my real concern was how to diffuse the situation without either of us getting seriously injured or accidentally killed.

Aikido technique was not used, but my intention to not harm the person was always there. I walked away with a few bruises, a lot of respect for down and dirty fighting, but at least satisfied that I was able to walk away without having injured the other person.

I firmly believe there is no exaggeration in saying that Aikido can help you defend yourself in many ways, but it's how you intend to use it that makes all the difference.