View Single Post
Old 07-18-2005, 09:49 PM   #134
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: BS in fellow aikidoka

Quote:
Brett Charvat wrote:
Mr. Sigman, I'm confused as to how you extrapolated an uke giving 100% to their attack into an instructor intentionally injuring their kohai. It didn't seem to me from Paige's original post that she was in immediate danger from her uke's strong attack; merely that she was unable to perform the technique.
Hi Brett: We've all had jerks for uke's at one time or another. From the description she gave, I'm a little confused at how anyone would confuse the kid with a well-intentioned uke. The question from Paige seemed to be more "what do you do when you get a jerk for an uke" than anything else. If she had been wondering what to do when a powerful uke has her in morote-tori, I would probably have answered completely differently or not at all.
Quote:
I certainly did not intend to imply that at our dojo we greet newcomers with a handshake that leads into a vicious ude gatame and if they don't know enough to tap then too bad for their elbow. I merely meant to convey that our ukes do not make a habit of cooperation with their nage/tori/shite. If a student is unable to perform the technique effectively four times, then they attempt it four times instead and the roles switch. Usually this only occurs a few times before either the instructor or a nearby senior student steps in and instructs through demonstration, and then it's back to struggling and frustration.
That sounds pretty good. Maybe that's what Paige's sensei needs to do in a "jerk uke" situation (assuming the original description was accurate).
Quote:
I guess it just seems to me that either a person's technique works or it does not, and whether it does or not cannot be blamed on their uke. But of course I must include the caveat that this is merely my opinion, and Paige should do what she feels is best for herself.
I got out on the mat with an instructor, just playing around once, and the morote-tori grab was one of the things we tried. I'm fairly large at 225 and strong and fairly hard to move if I don't want to be moved. He tried to break my grip with turns of his forearms powered by his body, since he couldn't move me. Every time he committed in the direction to effect the grip-break I took him down. He never got the upper hand, so to speak. The problem was that he, like Paige, *offered* his two forearms to me in a static situation... I'd have never gotten his two wrists easily in a dynamic situation. It's easy to screw with someone if you know how and/or you're strong enough. I would have never played that sort of game in a classroom setting because it's needlessly embarrassing, just as Paige's scenario was.

Probably the most important thing nage is working on is angles and forces in morote-tori, but the static lock-em-down situation never seems to be all that productive for nage, IMO. I think a moderate grasp so she can explore a number of answers is the answer, rather than just one that maybe works sometimes, in addition to the needless humiliation. But that's just my opinion.

FWIW

Mike