View Single Post
Old 07-18-2005, 07:59 PM   #127
wendyrowe
Dojo: Aikidog Aikikai
Re: BS in fellow aikidoka

Quote:
Roy Leclair wrote:
Dear Paige,
I think that you and Wendy Rowe are dealing with the same sort of challenge. Perhaps you should pair up and try different tactics and come up with solutions, whatever they may be.
It would be a lot easier for Paige and I to work together if we weren't nearly 1000 miles apart!
Quote:
Roy Leclair wrote:
Dear Wendy,
I have worked with smaller people, and at times I can be stubborn and not move. I usually do this because I feel that if I did, it would be a complete exaggeration. I especial don't give in when they try and use there strength. But one thing I always noticed is that once their unbendable arm is locked and/or connected to their navel for power, their effectiveness is greatly increased.
I'm still working on it; heck, I'm still working on everything. I haven't yet mastered my mind sufficiently to harmonize it best with my body, let alone my uke's. But that's OK, I've got a whole lifetime ahead of me to work on this stuff.

Quote:
Anne Marie Giri wrote:
I've trained many a times with a "vice-grip-of-death" partner. 99.9% of the time their intentions are good and most of them know how you can get out. The key is to ask them "what do I need to do?" If they don't know, then ask your sensei what you need to do when they grab that strongly. If sensei is busy then ask them to ease up and let your practice a different aspect of the technique. If they don't, then bow out and find another group to train with.
I like working with a lot of resistance, once I've learned the basic moves of the technique (so like I've said, we increase resistance as we train). The one thing that I get completely stuck on is when we're starting from a static double wrist grab if my Uke is lots stronger than me and won't let up at all. If he's got me strongly enough, I am unable to turn or separate my arms or drop or succeed at anything I'm trying to take his balance. If he is willing to let up slightly I can practice things and get them to work, but there's a point where I just can't do it yet from a static start. I agree with Anne Marie that that's an excellent time to ask your partner or your Sensei what to do -- actually, the people who have done this to me have all been strong beginners so they don't have any advice for me. But I'm glad to see that Anne Marie also says that there's a time to bow out and find another partner.

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking this is more of a problem for women than for small men. The people I've had this problem with were all male, new to our school, strong, and large, and I believe they enjoyed the idea of being able to hold me helpless. When it got bad enough, I gave up on the technique we were supposed to be practicing and got out using other technique, and I avoided partnering with him. And like I said, none of the people who did that to me lasted at our school; so I'm pretty sure I have some evidence here at least that they were not good-spirited people who just wanted to help me train harder.

That's why although I agree with people giving Paige technique suggestions and telling her to ask for advice, I also think it is particularly important for a 15-year-old girl to talk to her Sensei about the issue to make sure the uke is observed by someone who can consider his intent and adjust him as needed.