View Single Post
Old 07-16-2005, 11:23 PM   #72
Randathamane
Dojo: Zanshin-kai
United Kingdom
Re: Don't waste your time practicing AIKIDO

Aikido <takes a deep breath>

Lets set the record strait...... Here we go.

Quote:
"Aikido doesn't require fitness so most aikido players are old, fat and not strong enough"
Try taking a grading above 4th kyu in a non fit state. aikido takes allot of movement to do- lots of movement requires allot of energy. Lots of energy expenditure is good for keeping in shape and getting fit if it is expended in the right way. Any aikido sensei can get you fit- all you have to do is Ukemi for an hour or so plus something dynamicc like Iriminage Ura for another hour for 3 weeks straight (PLEASE GOD SENSEIDON'TT READ THIS [ because he will make me do it]).

aikido itself teaches us that strength is not an issue if you want to escape someone. The best tactical solution is always where you reap the highest gain for the lowest cost.Therefor- in most situations when the MikeTyson equivalent gets annoyed at you- retreat is always a valid and honorable option.

Quote:
" you can not attack in aikido you just receiving and waiting what the attackers will do"
You can attack. don't follow the technique through- break it off half way when Uke is off balancee or has been re-directed and lamp them one. Besides, it can be argued that throwing somebody to the floor is an attack. Initially the aikidoka redirect on the defensive, take the initiative of battle and attack using a technique. Only at the completion can another tell you what the technique is.Ikkyo and Gokyo are identical up to the submission, which is only at the end.

Quote:
" many aikido techniques depend on grabbing which is rarely happen in real fights"
Grabbing simulates "real attacks". For example, Gyakuhanmi simulatesTsuki whilst Aihanmi represents and effectively simulates shomen or Yokomen strikes. Such attacks as Lapell grabs or Ryokata are valid in their own right as they are more likely to happen as a preparation for a strike. Grabbing as it were is only the first step.

Quote:
" aikido focuses on hands to applying its techniques and ignores the rest of the body, no kicks no punches no jumping"
Your hands are your most dexterous limbs. you can aim a jab with pinpoint precision, whilst kicks in comparison are slow and cumbersome- however if they connect, far more effective- but its getting them to connect. Punches ARE present in aikido in the form of atemi, which can be put in anytime you have a hand free. Literally.
As for jumping..... well woopie doo. Look at me i am a flying target with no control over my direction whilst in the air, whilst at the same time being very predictable in my flight pattern, helpless to my flanks and rear (mostly unless spinning of course) and i am invariably going to land which will require both my legs meaning that i cannot move for that split second. Great..... Or you could just step somewhere.....

Quote:
" aikido is only good for seminars and demonstrations"
BEEEEEEEP.... Wrong answer. Osensei studied every martial art he could get his ambitious mind about and cherry picked the best bits- in a sense filtering out the rubbish. If it didn't work, they would not teach it to the Japanese police, would they..... Besides, i am sure there are others on this site that can give personal examples of its effectiveness.

Quote:
" aikido is too traditional, no body use sword in our world today"
This is coming for the Kung fu genius that took all their ideas from animals. Aikido has looked into the way humans move and fight. yes nobody would use the sword in this day and age, but try this. Take a knife and stab a cloth or something. Now take the knife away and do the same thing. What do you get?
A closed fist traveling forwards at great speed. you get a punch. doesn't seem so pointless now does it. Aiki ken was established as a training tool- the art itself came first. Ultimately, at the beginning, aikido was about one swordsman throwing another. if you take the swords away, the move still works. the movements are the same, just without the blood and mess.

Quote:
" aikido is a philosophy more than a combat way"
Any martial art that has a DO in it is, by definition the same and suffers the same flaw. Jitsu is the down to earth, get the job done art.

Phew. glad thats over.......

Good against remotes are one thing- good against the living, thats somthing else....