View Single Post
Old 07-16-2005, 09:39 PM   #8
CNYMike
Dojo: Finger Lakes Aikido
United_States
Re: Aikido vs....

Quote:
Jean de Rochefort wrote:
Since I've started visiting this forum, I've seen a BUNCH of "Aikido vs...." threads. Of course, one group says this, the other says that...

In relation to that, first, I'd like to say: Consider the source. How many of us, after years of training, really understand Aikido to really say what Aikido can do? I doubt there's anyone. I figure, I can only respond with what I think I can do against this or that utilizing the Aikido techniques I know...but none of us know Aikido...Shioda said in the 90's that he was just catching on to it...how many years of training is that?

Find a "Master" and ask him/her the question.

Ultimately, I think to compare one art to another you'd have to know the techniques of both of them...you'd need to be, or ask, a someone who's a "Master" of both arts.

However, seems to me, you could take every technique from one art and say,,"is there a technique in the Aikido repertoire to counter this. If the answer is "no" then the question becomes, does Aikido offer an option that could of been utilized to avoid being in the position where that technique is applicable?

So, for anyone to answer those questions, I hope they've done a lot of homework. That's all.
Such threads make for a fun academic exerices, and there are enouogh crosstrainers to get some answers based on personal expertise. But I don't see much value beyond that. My Kali instructor, Guro Andy Astle, keeps making the point about how rare martial artists are, and some arts are rarer than others. On top of that, up to 90% off people who start quit within a year, according to a Shotokan sensei I once met. So in most situations you could get into, odds are it won't be with someone who has any kind of training. Or as Guro Andy once put it, "If someone says to me, 'That won't work against Mike Tyson,' I say, 'I agree with you, but I'm not worried about getting into a fight with Mike Tyson.'"

It's fun to think about, but as a practical matter, you probably won't ever have to worry about it. That doesn't mean you can entirely ignore "nonstandard" attacks, but you don't have to drop a brick if you're lineage doesn't cover them, either. As I like to say, I'm taking Aikido for what Sensei teaches, not what he doesn't teach.