Thread: "Sinking"
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2005, 08:12 PM   #6
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: BS in fellow aikidoka

Quote:
Raul Rodrigo wrote:
Hell, Mike, if i knew that....He said it was something that he learned from his teacher, Tamura Shihan.
Thanks. That tells me something.
Quote:
Analysis
When a technique is difficult, it is preferable to break it down in many simple movements. Our two strongest guys tried to lift him and they collapsed trying. The words sinking or dropping his center come from him; its his description of what he was doing. None of us felt any strain or muscular tension from him at these moments; he didn't lower his knees or do anything else obviously physical, as far as we could tell, to go against the force of the lifting. So no, I have no idea really what he was doing outside of what he said he was doing. All I know is, it was real.
Here's a quote from Tamura: Analysis
When a technique is difficult, it is preferable to break it down in many simple movements.
If I have a strong middle and know what ki and kokyu is but I let my practice lapse and then try to hit my hardest with my kokyu, what would stop me from transmitting my full kokyu? I've said that ground and weight are the 2 powerings behind kokyu... so why can't you duplicate Fukakusa's "sinking"??? And what other factors may be involved?

Regards,

Mike