View Single Post
Old 07-16-2005, 05:00 PM   #31
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Defining Kokyu

Quote:
David Valadez wrote:
Yikes! I would think kokyu-ryoku is even harder to define. But here goes:
"Kokyu", when you get past the people who think it just means "breath", "timing", etc., is (in the ki/qi paradigm) the physical manifestation of ki. That's why someone's "kokyu" can be seen in shodo, etc. Kokyu ryoku is using that physical manifestation of "ki" for power, like in a push, hit, etc., as opposed to just using it for movement, etc. Shioda tried to simplify what it was in some of the written descriptions in his books, but "simplify" is the operative word... in simplifying you seldom tell the whole story.
Quote:
For me, kokyu-ryoku is the perfect coordination of mind coordination and body coordination. "Perfect" here is defined as "in line with the principles or laws of Nature." In waza, these two coordinations cannot be so separated (as they are fully co-dependent) but let us say that the "coordination of body" is referring to the coordination of tai-sabaki, ashi-sabaki, and te-sabaki -- such that a sense of center becomes tangible, extendable, and grounded. A "coordination of mind" is a fully realized reconciliation of the subject/object dichotomy -- such that one's sense of center adopts a kind of universal aspect and/or an aspect of Oneness. Thus, for me, a technique that contains kokyu-ryoku is a technique that has a very tangible sense of center, is very grounded, and extends along a continuity of Oneness.
OK, but that doesn't tell me the answer to the question. How do you push a wall with kokyu power as opposed to a normal push? I.e., what are the factors that separate a kokyu-powered push from a normal push?
Quote:
I am afraid that I am not very versed in "ki tests,"
But I'm sure that you recognize Tohei's "ki tests" as simple kokyu demonstrations and that the relationship between his "ki tests", "kokyu", and 'kokyu ryoku" is no mystery. Let's just say that if someone really understands and uses "kokyu", they should understand amd be able to use it in simple "kokyu demonstrations" (no matter what they're called) and in Kokyu ryoku. They're all variations of the same basic concept, which is fairly easy to show, IMO. But the best way to approach the discussion is perhaps to start with an analytic look *functionally* at what is the difference between a simple kokyu push and a normal push.

Mike