View Single Post
Old 07-16-2005, 01:59 PM   #5
Adam Alexander
Dojo: none currently
United_States
Re: ?? Exaggeration in Aikido ??

Quote:
Roy Leclair wrote:
1)130-160 pound Aikidoka not backing away from a 275+ pound attacker(or multiple attackers), and seriously getting hurt; because falsely he/she felt their Aikido would shield them.... 2)Is it wise to say to new members at an Aikido club that by learning Aikido you will be able to take-on much larger attackers (or multiple attackers)?...3)In general," might saying this give a false confidence to the average Aikidoka? ....4) Just a concluding thought, In most confrontations its not just about the moves you can make, but what you can take.
1)Isn't that weight match-up similar to Ueshiba vs. Tenru the sumo wrestler...in which Ueshiba wins?

2)I don't think it's any wiser to say that Aikido will be necessarily effective than to say that Aikido would not triumph in that situation. There's too many variables...how do you know the person possessess the intellectual and physical capacity to recognize what they're learning? How do you know they'll practice it enough for them? How do you know they will not freeze-up?

I think if a student asks,"If I'm attacked like this [insert type of attack here], what Aikido technique would be effective?" The response is,"This technique...However, that is purely from a technical perspective. There's many factors--individual to you, individual to the situation--that will have an effect. However, when energy is moving in that way, this response is an option."

3)I think the excellent post that precedes this one covers that well. I'd like to add, however, intellectual capacity and physical capacity to understand the techniques...so that they'll become "consciously incompetent" (I think that's what it's called)--they know they don't know.

4)Was this post a question or an effort to advance an idea?

In my own experience--real life confrontation--it was more about my ability to stay relatively calm and respond with reflex than "what I could take" (that is if you're referring to someone's ability to take a strike).

Just a last thought: I think what you're trying to imply (my interpretation) is true. However, I think it's not an Aikido issue, it's a MA issue--anyone who tries to tell someone else that this art or that art will do the trick isn't doing right by others. However, Aikido is the best

Last edited by Adam Alexander : 07-16-2005 at 02:05 PM.