Thread: Defining Kokyu
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2005, 08:50 AM   #24
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Defining Kokyu

Quote:
Ted Ehara wrote:
Much of what Tohei has written is introductory material. The idea being you join the Ki Society if you're interested in pursuing this activity to gain access to more information and have people to practice with. There are also several books which haven't been translated into English. His recent book on Ki Breathing came out within the last few months in Japanese.

Since he is a native Japanese speaker, and Japanese is considered a vague/poetic language, this might be the source of your belief he is "hiding" something.
Japanese language has little to do with my impression. I'm just going by how little the Ki-Society people seem to know, by a lot of reading, etc. When I see things like this (from one of Reed's articles) my bullshit-meter begins to quiver:

Nevertheless, Ki testing is a skill which in the wrong hands can produce distorted results. Individual variations, carelessness, bad habits, and egos alike can interfere with Ki testing and reduce its value as a teaching tool. Without proper understanding these distortions become magnified over time.

Many students find that they can pass a Ki test in the dojo, but not at home. Or students become accustomed to the testing style of their own instructors, but find that they cannot pass the tests of a visiting instructor. The ultimate surprise comes when they find that what has worked for years in the home dojo doesn't work at all when tested by a visiting instructor from Tokyo. This can lead people to assume that Ki testing is either subjective or a matter of the instructor allowing the student to pass just to prove a point. Instructors should be careful to emphasize the objective and progressive elements of Ki testing, and not let it degenerate into a game of subjective feelings and vague notions.

Quote:
You might find William Reed's books more precise for an English reader. Reed is an American who has worked as a professional translator and is a member of the Ki Society who has close access to K. Tohei.
I'm a player, Ted. Tell me which one of Reed's books you think is the best and I'll buy it. If I'm pleasantly surprised, like I was with the recommended Shioda tape and book or like I was with the recommended Sunadomari tape, I'll be more than happy to express my positive opinion. I'm also happy to personally meet with some knowledgeable Ki-Society member and give my opinion, as well.

Regards,

Mike Sigman