Thread: Defining Kokyu
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2005, 12:14 PM   #5
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Defining Kokyu

Quote:
Benjamin Edelen wrote:
Many professional athletes study Aikido and/or it's principles. There is a notable Japanese baseball player who studied Aikido with Osensei for the purpose of improving his batting skills.
You mean Tohei, right?
Quote:
I am not convinced that just because athletes utilize an Aikido principle, that principle ceases to become remarkable. Kokyunage is a catch-all technique name. Any technique that is not an obvious variation of a core technique is usually referred to as kokyunage. Indeed all Aikido techniques utilize breath power, and I do not believe that kokyu nage either uses kokyu more than other throws, or that it uses kokyu exclusively, ignoring other Aikido principles. Saying that we mis-define "kokyu" because kokyunage more than just breath power is like saying that we mis-define "irimi" because iriminage is more than just stepping forward.
You don't know much about kokyu, Benjamin. Do some research.

BTW, I did some more googling. It's pretty amazing how many different definitions of "kokyu" there are. I found "momentum throw", "timing throw", "breathing throw", "breath throw", etc., so far. It's pretty interesting. I found some Ikeda students saying that Ikeda called it a "timing" throw, BTW. Get with the program.

Mike