Thread: Defining Kokyu
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2005, 11:27 AM   #1
Mike Sigman
United_States
Defining Kokyu

(Transferred from "Highest Level" thread)
Quote:
Rob Liberti wrote:
I give example after example of people doing things at least beyond what I would consider normal strength, and you seem to suggest that those examples are probably not quite kokyu movement yet.
Maybe if we try to define the term "kokyu" in terms of the power, i.e., "kokyu ryoku", we could get more of a consensus conversation, Rob. I did a quick Google on the term and I noticed that there are actually a number of definitions floated out there by "ranking" members of the Aikido community. I sort of surprised at how many people think kokyu power is focused on the inhale and exhale and how many suggestions revolve around "breathe in and then breathe out" when doing techniques. If that was the case, most sports people would exhibit "kokyu power" and it wouldn't be a very big deal.

How about if we take some basic kokyu throw, something simple, and discuss it in terms of how the power is generated in order to see if we can come up with a consensus definition? Just about any throw can be termed a "kokyunage", I suppose, so how about suggesting one that you think would be a fairly straightforward discussion because of its simplicity?

Incidentally, I found this quote from Saito that I thought was interesting and which has a direct bearing on kokyunage:
(from Traditional Aikido Vol. 5, p. 36,) "Aikido is generally believed to represent circular movements. Contrary to such belief, however, Aikido, in its true Ki form, is a fierce art piercing straight through the center of opposition."

Regards,

Mike