View Single Post
Old 07-20-2000, 11:14 AM   #20
mle
Dojo: The Dojo (www.the-dojo.com
Making a living and living your path

I've been mulling this one over for a few years. Certainly my desk nerd job is harmful to my body ($65K - ROTFL! not me!)it does keep me fed and housed and able to travel to see what I am interested in ocasionally.
I have decided, however, that I want more time to do what I want, which is mostly aikido/budo, so I am in the process of changing my life to do so. I am taking classes to become a massage therapist, and find that art to be as close to aikido as a profession can be. I find it and aikido to be extremely complementary to one another. This seems to be a good way for me to strike a balance and remain "always in practice".
What I have seen is that most teachers DO have to keep a "day job" and work those long days to do what they want.
The ones who don't sometimes have a very hard time both in interpersonal relationships in the dojo and in just making ends meet! Issues can get so very confused. I think my experience was unusual, though, and while I would like to see more public support for martial training and the arts of life which go along with it, I am not sure when we will see that become widespread in our lifetimes. Gaku Homma has Nippon Kan, which I understand to be kind of a work/learn/train situation for the uchideshi. But generally, no, there is not social support or value for those who wish to, or are wished to! instruct for a living. Nor for teachers in general here in the US.
BTW, I don't teach much, though I enjoy it when I get to. Usually just train, assist, and uke.

Who else has succeeded like Gaku Homma in building a self-supporting mechanism like Nippon Kan?

mle
lonestar.texas.net/~tal/rrcomdojo/