View Single Post
Old 08-13-2001, 08:03 AM   #3
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Re: Thoughts for a newbie plz!

Hi Kev!

Going from Kickboxing to Ju-jitsu I would expect Aikido could be the logical next step in your 'less-agressive-path'
When it comes to the spiritual side of Aikido, it is my experience that it's up to you how much you want to deal with it. Some dojo's have a tradition for exploring that side - some don't. The shihan I practice under (Nishio Sensei) talks very little of these matters (or so I've heard) but they are present in the way he performs the techniques.
Personally I try to live some of the aspects of Aikido, but I'm stil just a beginner and I am only dabbeling in the 'way' of Aikido. I try to avoid conflicts by blending (whatever that means), accept the fact that it takes discipline and hard work to evolve, and I try to keep at least some harmony in my life by carefully selecting how I spend my time. All very hard to do, but I think I'm slowly progressing.

Oh year.... Like Patrik I smile a lot more too. Whenever I am down after a long day of getting nowhere at work and utter caos in the family I go to practice and come home with a big fat grin on my face - at least most of the time . Sometimes my wife actually orders me to go to class, if I don't really feel up to it for some reason. I guess it's kind of like a drug - getting hooked means you want more and more, and you get moody and sour when you can't get your regular amount (hmmm..... This doesn't sound as positive as intended ).
Anyway: I love practicing - even when I have a bad day and nothing works. I love the intensity of a good practice, I love the beauty of the moves, I really like the people in the dojo and I enjoy getting better step by step.
Enough babbeling for now. I need to exercise disciplin in the work area . If you have any more questions post them here or mail me!

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration