View Single Post
Old 07-11-2005, 12:03 PM   #33
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Possible Ki & Kokyu Workshop

Quote:
Bruce Wells wrote:
Interesting Thread. Mike, have you decided on when and where. Durango would be beautiful place to have it, but having grown up in Silverton, the idea of being there in snow is not appealing

I've started doing YiQuan standing in the last year and would be very interested in how you approach this whole subject.
Hi Bruce:

Actually, I was just getting ready to walk out the door and head up to Silverton to do some work on my house up there. I bought a house a couple of years ago at 1533 Reese across from the courthouse, between Zeke Zanoni and Ken Safranski. I wouldn't do a workshop up there on a bet... out-of-towners would take too long to acclimate to the elevation.

There's been some discussion of Chinese martial arts practices and how they apply to Japanese martial arts. Naturally, a lot of it devolved into the idea of Japanophile versus Sinophile, but that really misses the point... by a large margin, as I see it.

The methods of training the qi/ki, kokyu/jin, etc., actually go across a wide spectrum of martial arts. If anything, I tended to refuse at first to accept how wide that spectrum is. There are people on this list who think Japanese martial arts are somewhat separate *at core* from Chinese martial arts. I tend to see Japanese and Chinese martial arts as having somewhat of the same core.... but I get caught out being wrong and underestimating almost every time how wide that spectrum really is. In other words, there's still some "style loyalties" that I have that have slowed my grasp of the big picture.

Because of O-Sensei's "ki tricks" and how they're exactly like the Chinese ones, because of his writings, and so on, it's became clear to me a few months ago that I was way underestimating the amount of information that was common between Aikido and Chinese training of the ki-kokyu type. The "jo trick" is one of those that I kept rationalizing with "he couldn't have known this", but now it appears that he did. The thing about the "big toe" was another one that I tried to find another explanation for, but I see no way out of it... it must have come via knowledge of "standing" practices. And there are a number of other tricks and demo's that he did that just leave no doubt... it's impossible to have that many coincidences.

Yiquan standing supposedly derives from Xingyi practices, but after a number of years of exposure, I've begun to realize that the "secrets" of how to stand for power are actually fairly well known across a number of Chinese martial arts, both "internal" and "external". About the only thing in Yiquan that I think is an oddball datum is the sudden "shake" derived from Southern White Crane practices.

So my rejoinder to you would be that *IF* you know how to do yiquan standing correctly, you're not going to be doing much of anything that apparently O-Sensei didn't already know. I.e., it's a proper complement to your Aikido, even though most Aikido practitioners don't seem to have a clue about it due to the knowledge being limited in distribution.

Regards,

Mike