View Single Post
Old 07-03-2005, 08:59 PM   #26
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States
Re: Weapons training leads to good aikido.

Quote:
Michael Stuempel wrote:
Training with intent and focus can be done without a weapon in hand. If you cannot train that way maybe you should train harder and not use weapons as a crutch (oops...did I say that? LOL).

Who can really argue with that?!

However, I still feel my first offering of learning how to sense the Ki of an encounter is very much cultivated through paired weapons practice in a way that Body Art simply can never duplicate. I seem to remember that, though truthfully I cannot now tell you to what degree, this is elaborated upon in a book by Kenji Tokitsu. The book is titled, "Ki and the Way of the Martial Arts." Please forgive me if the book doesn't exactly touch this topic as much as I am suggesting here - it's been a while since I read it. However, it is a good read and I do know that it does touch on the reasons for practicing with weapons. I highly recommend it. For more information, if one desires, we have several articles on weapons work and their rationale (as we see it) at our web site.

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.