Thread: aikido is weak
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2001, 12:38 PM   #57
Anne
Dojo: Kiel University/VfL Fosite Helgoland
Re: Stuart has a point definately!

[quote]Originally posted by Paul van Leeuwe
I am a ju jitsu practitioner, and I do taekwondo just for fun and because only two lessons in ju jitsu are offered a week, and sporting just twice I don't consider enough, as I want to lose some weight. Just some words about my background.

I think one of the problems is that many people don't know the difference between sport and self defence.
sport: lots of rules like no punches in Judo or no attacks towards the legs in TKD

self defence: every attack allowed and practiced

I train at the sports center of my universtity. All kinds of MAs are offered and since training is almost free, many people have a look at other arts. So we have Jiu Jitsu, Karate and TaeKwonDo people around for training sometimes. On the other hand, you can watch or train in their classes, too.
Maybe it's a question of styles but what I see when watching Jiu Jitsu, Karate or TKD is as follows:
Jiu Jitsu (had some training myself): lots of blocking, very undynamic, needs a lot of strenght for all those pulls and forcing a partner through a technique. Techniques start when the partner has already a firm hold on oneself. Aikido starts on a stage when the attacker hasn't got a hold of you already which is a real advantage and one of the reasons why it doesn't require much strenght.

Karate: People practice kata most of the time. Partner practice means blocking a punch etc and a reacting strike etc. Very static,too, because the technique ended there, the attacker didn't try to escape or react.

TKD: Just a little story I overheard in a bus. Two men were sitting in front of me and one complained that he was doing TKD for several years now but was beaten up badly by a boy because that kid just wouldn't stand there and let himself get kicked at but always turned sidewards and punched the man...

One of my friends is a first kyu in karate and he stayed with aikido because he admitted that a karateka wouldn't have a chance.

I was once callenged by a friend who did WT for years. It was just for fun so nobody got hurt but he didn't get past his initial punches or kicks because I always took him down with irimi or tenkan techniques.

What if a kickboxer would fight an aikidoka? I think the kickboxer would definately win if he knew how to battle an aikidoka. Kick low, and I wonder how aikidoka's can blend with his technique. If there are other ways within aikido to get around it then I'm just misinformed about aikido. Ju jitsu allows us to 'attack' in a battle, aikido uses only atemi? Ju jitsu teaches us how to take advantage of weak stances of the opponent, but can an aikidoka (using only aikido) kick somebody in the groin if he spreads his legs?

First, it doesn't matter if the attack is a kick or a punch if you do a correct irimi in this case. By the way, iriminage applied to a leg is very painful and dangerous if you don't know how to fall from this one.
Secondly, if someone spreads his legs, it's usually a position he can't attack from quickly. So as an aikidoka, I don't have to kick.

I wonder: do you guys think that aikido is the best self-defense art (it will leave you with the fewest injuries if somebody attacks you and you can't avoid it) IF trained well enough in? Nobody feels the lacks of punches and kicks Stuart brawls about? You all think it's not an art which works in theory but not in practice (like taekwondo, karate and in many caes kung fu)?

For me, yes, I think aikido will leave me with the fewest injuries, because we learn how to fall savely, too, which other MAs don't teach.
We do train with kicks and punches and with most techniques the kind of attack doesn't matter.

Anne

Last edited by Anne : 08-08-2001 at 12:42 PM.

"You have to do difficult things to grow." (Shoji Nishio Sensei)