View Single Post
Old 07-01-2005, 01:29 PM   #12
phil farmer
Dojo: Nacogdoches
United_States
Re: Nice Video about Yoseikan

I will comment as a fellow Yoseikan practitioner. First of all, competition in Yoseikan Budo represents only about 15% of the art. It satisfies a need of many younger martial artists in that it gives them a chance to learn and practice powerful technique in a fun way.

There is no Yoseikan Karate or JiuJitsu or Aiki any more, within the World Federation. Now it is just Yoseikan Budo and within that are throws, atemi, joint locks, pins, ground work, etc. In former years these areas were separated out but Master Hiroo Mochizuki wants it to be one system. He has plenty of authority and background to develop Yoseikan atemi since he has high rank in Shotokan and Wado Ryu karate styles and is one of the founders and long time technical advisor to the French and European Karate Federations.

Yoseikan has always been included as a variation of aikido, since the founder Minoru Mochizuki was on of the Pre-WW II masters Prannin wrote about in his book. The truth probably is that it should have been called a soft jiujitsu style all of these years. The traditional Yoseikan skills are much closer to aikijutsu or even daito ryu than you see these days in aiki styles. I would inform all concerned however, that Hiroo Mochizuki was a direct student of Ueshiba Sensei in the mid 1950's and has rank and is an excellent aikido practitioner in his own write. The promotional video is an excellent example of all of the skills used in the Yoseikan Budo style. I will add that the musical portions: Yoseikan Training and Yoseikan Sparring are later creations of Mitchi Mochizuki (son) and Jean Max Brignon and are designed for cardio vascular training and timing and rhythm training respectively. The Sparring is set to music and students are learning sparring skills at double the rate of students learning without the music.

As to the padded weapons, well it's a bit dangerous to use bokken or katana in a competition. Seriously, though, the primary use of the padded weapons is to give even beginning students the chance to learn how to use weapons in a realistic manner sooner. There are also kenjutsu and iai jutsu skills in the style. Are they any good? Well, after 10 years of Yoseikan and training with bokken and doing our katas I had the opportunity to actually do tameshi geri (sp.) and was successful to the point that I was asked where I learned to make the cuts. My reply, Yoseikan.

I am glad to see the video posted. Folks, try to reserve judgement until you see the skills first hand. We have a great safety record and practitioners in 29 countries, it must be worth something.

Dr. Phil Farmer
U.S. Y. B.A/YWF