View Single Post
Old 06-29-2005, 12:51 PM   #86
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Highest Level Martial Arts and Aikido

A friend of mine brought to my attention the 1st Aikido Friendship Demonstration part 1 (a DVD sold by Aikido Journal), particularly the demonstration by Kanshu Sunadomari. Essentially, Sunadomari is doing exactly what Gozo Shioda was demonstrating in the Shingi Denju DVD I mentioned in a few other threads. Shioda was doing some variations of the same kokyu control-of-center-and-kokyu-direction through the grab by uke of his gi (it had to be tight for the controls to work... it was more of a dog-and-pony show, in that regard). It's interesting to see that level of controls (it's more sophisticated than my simple description is indicating), but to see it in two early (or "earlier") students of Ueshiba makes me curious. Probably I'm missing something, but I haven't seen that level of controls in many of the more recent deshi... does anyone know of any other Ueshiba students who can use that type of mentally-controlled kokyu powers? Any DVD's? I'm bemused in seeing two "oldtimers" like Shioda and Sunadomari doing this high-level controls, given all the talk about Aikido "evolving", etc., as time went on.

Thanks for any pointers.

Regards,

Mike Sigman