View Single Post
Old 08-06-2001, 03:25 PM   #12
Talking The Spirit

It seems that the answer to my question is really one that must be answered at the particular dojo, and that there is enough variation between dojos that a practice in one may not be espoused by another.

My particular concerns were, of course, not that it may be too "non-violent," rather that Akido, in practice, may have involved such concepts or practices as "calling on our ancestors for strength" (my ancestors are dead; I'll call on God for strength) or praying in any way to anyone but Jesus Christ. Other concerns are things like seeing our "equality with the world" - people, birds, rocks, everything. The Bible teaches that God has a special love and desire for humans that He does not have for anything else - we are, after all, "created in [His] image."

I don't intend to offend or even challenge you if you happed to believe in any of those things, but rather to show you what the specific concern was, and the reason for it.

If you look at the book in the Bible and Hebrew Scriptures called Daniel (chap. 3), you'll see the story of Shadrach, Meshach, and Aben-nago. Basically, King Nebuchadnezzar made a declaration that at a specific time, all people had to fall down and worship a golden statue. Whoever did not worship would be cast into the middle of a furnace. So at this time, Shadrach, Meshach, and Aben-nago did not worship, because to do so would have been idol worship, and thus sinful. (The 1st of the 10 commandments addresses this) In the end, with one of the greatest declarations of faith found in the Bible, they say, (I paraphrase here) "God is able to deliver us from the furnace, and He may or may not. But even if He doesn't, we won't worship your idol."

It ends with them going into the furnace but not even getting singed. But what is remarkable to me, and what ties it to Akido, is the number of ways the three could have excused their idol worship. They could have bowed down and worshipped God, but made it LOOK like they were worshipping the idol; they could have just dismissed it as just one little thing and God would forgive them; they could have said to the King, "okay, sorry, we'll worship the idol"; etc. etc. etc. But as a part of their witness, they HAD to avoid the APPEARANCE of evil.

You may see from where I'm coming. It's not just my actual practice - I know that I'll never worship an idol, or pray to ancestors, etc. I know that I will always be a Christian. But I am obliged to, and I want to, make sure that everyone who looks at me knows that I am living my life for the living God.

Was that too much? I hope not. Again, I just want to show you where I'm coming from.

Thanks