View Single Post
Old 06-19-2005, 07:27 AM   #8
Susan Dalton
Dojo: Greensboro Kodokan
Re: Article: Serious Martial Artists by "The Mirror"

Quote:
Chuck Clark wrote:
Great story Susan. I've had several experiences of a similar nature years ago. Very entertaining to say the least. One "nineteen year old" kung fu expert came up to Aaron and I when we were training in a park about fifteen years ago. With no introductions, he boldly stated, "I know 200 forms. How many do you know?" I said, "Just a few... I keep having to do the same ones over and over so I can learn them and someday I might get them right." He was very smug and said that his practice was his "way of life" and that he had "mastered" all of the forms he knew...would we like to see him do any of his forms? We said no thanks because we have very little time so we need to practice. He began doing front flips and round-offs as he made his way through the park. The lesson in this story is we had 30 people join us within a month and our first dojo in a new city was born in that park.
How funny! And sad, really. That guy was so invested in showing off that he missed an incredible opportunity to learn something from you and to have the chance to practice with you and Aaron.

You had good answers. I got a little stuck. With the first guys, I couldn't tell if they seriously wanted to learn something from me or if they wanted to take over my mat. I'm still not sure. And I was so flabbergasted at the last guy's asking me to spar that I didn't know what to say. But I did notice that he asked the almost 50 year old woman rather than our burly student, the ex-Marine combat instructor! Good thing he didn't ask Kelsey after he swiped the jo and rolled through the children because I think she would have taken him up on the offer. He might have needed those secret techniques.

Thank you for your kind words.
Susan