View Single Post
Old 06-17-2005, 10:06 PM   #19
Mike.Ordway
Dojo: Massena Martial Arts
United_States
Re: Paying for testing?

Quote:
Ian Hurst wrote:
This and several other similar threads has always got me to thinking, especially about the implied assertion that paying for grading is somehow wrong and needs to be justified.

Now normally, as our grading fees are relatively low, I trot out the time and energy put in by the teachers into actual arranging the test and acting in that uncomfortable seiza hot-seat. But I realised I'm missing an even more important point.

I don't know how it works in other dojos, but I also have to put in a lot of effort prior to the test, taking people through bits they're not getting time after time until they're comfortable, doing mock gradings, boning up on parts of the syllabus I may have not touched on for a while and generally subsuming my practice needs for my students. Dammit, I think I'm going to treble the fees and make them walk on lava to show true commitment, I need more me time on the mat!
Sorry If i came off as meaning there was something wrong, I dont think there is. I took my test and passed. The thirty dollars went mostly towards our organization(not sure what its called) Thank you all for the feed back.